We are developing Cancer Friendly Health Walks across Scotland as part of the Macmillan Move More Scotland programme.
These Health Walks support people affected by cancer to become more active by walking.
Move More Scotland is part of Macmillan Cancer Support’s national campaign to ensure that people living with cancer are supported to become physically active, both before, during and after their treatment.
A growing body of evidence shows that being active can play a vital role in helping to prevent a recurrence of cancer. It can also slow disease progression as well as reducing the side effects and consequences of cancer treatment, such as fatigue.
We want to support everyone living with cancer to be more active, through walking. We have two types of Health Walks to help everyone to become, and stay, active at a level that’s right for them. Both walks have a Macmillan trained volunteer to assist, enable and support participants:
- Move More Walks are set up to bring together groups of people affected by cancer, so they can walk with others who are going through the same experience.
- Cancer Friendly Walks are part of the wider Scottish Health Walk Network. These walks are great for those who want to take part in a wider community activity and still receive all the benefits of walking in a group atmosphere.
The walks are safe and accessible for people living with cancer and their family, friends and carers to join. Here's what to expect:
- Participants will be supported to walk at a distance and pace that is appropriate to them, building up gradually over time, setting achievable goals to take back control
- The route will have benches available, clear footpaths, access to toilets and will begin and end at a venue with appropriate facilities.
- There will be a shorter route available on all walks.
- Participants can bring a friend, family member or carer on any of the walks and it’s free
- Lots of walks end with a social get together a great way to meet new people
It’s good for the spirit and it gives you something to look forward to. I am now walking further than I ever would have imagined and my physical and mental wellbeing has greatly improved
Move More Walker, Glasgow
Find your nearest walk
Cancer Friendly Walking Groups are running in various locations throughout Scotland, from the Borders to the Western Isles. To take part in a Cancer Friendly walk or to refer into the programme please contact your local Move More project directly by finding them on our online map.
I would highly recommend the Cancer Friendly Health Walks to anyone who has been affected by cancer. It’s made a massive impact on my life and without this I wouldn’t be where I am today.
Move More Walker, Aberdeen
Macmillan's Move More Scotland programme is an individually-tailored programme of physical activity support is designed to help people with cancer, and includes gardening, joining a walking group or taking part in Gentle Movement classes or more traditional supervised gym-based programmes.