We're helping people with dementia to enjoy the benefits of walking
Get your colleagues together and feel the benefits of walking more this spring
We want to ensure that everyone living with dementia and their family, friends and carers can engage in walking. Through our Dementia Friendly Walking project we are providing training, funding and support to make the Walking for Health network dementia friendly. We are also working to raise awareness about the benefits of walking for people living with dementia.
All of the projects that we support through this project will receive a Dementia Friendly Walking accreditation. The accreditation recognises the positive changes put in place by Walking for Health projects to make their walks accessible to people living with dementia.
This project is funded by the Life Changes Trust, whose mission is to drive transformational improvements in the quality of life, well-being, empowerment and inclusion of people living with dementia in Scotland.
Through the Dementia Friendly Project we will:
Watch our video detailing what we have achieved to date.
We are currently supporting the following Walking for Health projects:
1. Stirling Walking Network, Active Stirling
2. Stride for Life, Live Active Leisure (Perth and Kinross)
3. Get Walking Lanarkshire, North Lanarkshire Council
4. Get Up, Get Out, Get Together, East Renfrewshire Council
5. WALK East Dunbartonshire, East Dunbartonshire Leisure and Culture Trust
6. Walk Aberdeen, Sport Aberdeen
7. Positive Steps, Kemnay
8. Ageing Well, Edinburgh Leisure
9. KA Dementia Friendly Walking Group, KA Leisure (Ayrshire)
10. Walk It, Scottish Borders Council
11. Edinburgh and Lothians Greenspace Trust
12. Walk with Braveheart, The Braveheart Association (Falkirk)
13. Bums off Seats, Active Fife
14. Glasgow Old People’s Welfare Association
15. Walk in the Park, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park
16. Volunteer Midlothian
17. WDCVS, Dementia Friendly West Dunbartonshire
18. Mearns Coastal Healthy Living Network, Laurencekirk
As well as developing dementia friendly walks, projects are also working with local befriending services, creating sensory exhibitions and gardens, and developing walking football sessions.
For more information about the project or to subscribe to our Dementia Friendly Walking newsletter email: Dementiafriendly@pathsforall.org.uk or call 01259 230 152.